Sunday, June 3, 2012

To Offend Someone from Detroit

I call "Fives" when I'm leaving a seat that I want to mark as mine. Today, I ran into a girl who calls this "Rosa Parks" and found nothing wrong with saying so while myself and an African-American guy was in the room.

I don't know what was more offensive: the fact that her upbringing didn't see something wrong with that, or that she had the lack of forethought to say it in front of me and my friend from Detroit. I was so upset that I gathered up my stuff and left on the spot.

My Detroit friend told me that's why he spaces out sometimes so that he doesn't have to hear ignorance like that. In any case, I told our boss and she said we'd talk to the girl (who had left by that time) on Monday about her choice of words. I'm hoping this will all be squashed then, and that the girl just didn't understand how offensive she was being.

No comments:

Post a Comment